Sunday, September 23, 2012

Old Friends vs New Friends

I have had my same friends for years and it feels weird knowing I am becoming more and more distanced from them this year. I really hate drama, and I plan on trying to avoid it, but my friends are my everything - they have been there through the good and the bad, they have been there through the fights and the struggles, and I am hoping they will be here for the times ahead. I rely on our friendship to keep me sane at school, because high school is a horrible place when you're alone. I would be less worried about this if my friends didn't keep posting things proving how different we are now - and how different we always knew we were. However, I appreciate their honesty on the situation because it is opening up my eyes and showing me that even though I am opening up and being less secluded inside of myself around new people, I still need those few friends that know me better than anyone else, even if they no longer feel as if they do. You see, just over two weeks ago I got a great boyfriend and I worry that the problem with my friendship with my old friends is the fact that they feel as if I am replacing them. I have never truly had a boyfriend before, so I understand that me spending time elsewhere is something new that everyone will need time to get used to. However, when it comes down to my old friends and the newer friends I have been starting to obtain, I will never give up the friendship I have with my old friends (until they do) because it means far too much to me. This does not mean I will change who I am or that I will not be spending time with my boyfriend, however, it rather means that I will be trying to find a balance that we can all work with and grow back into our old friendships as time allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment